Sunday, April 14, 2013

Week 26

This week in chemistry we did a lot of practicing. We talked about the material first and then got worksheets to practice which I really liked.
We did a lot of work on ionic and molecular compounds. We worked on naming them, writing formulas, and balancing them. We learned that if an element has a 2- charge, to balance out the compound the other element would have a 2+ charge. We also learned that is the compound had oxygen in it then when naming the compound the second element would have -ate on the end. There were also nine compounds that we had to memorize in time for ur assessment on Friday. Once I got my assessment on Friday I made sure to write them on the top of the paper just so I wouldn't forget. The nine were:
Sulfate: SO4 with a charge of 2-
Cyanide: CN with a charge of 1-
Acetate: C2H3O2 with a charge of 1-
Phosphate: PO4 with a charge of 3-
ammonium: NH4 with a charge of 1+
Hydroxide: OH with a charge of 1-
Nitrate: NO3 with a charge of 1-
Chlorate: ClO3 with a charge of 1-
Carbonate: CO3 with a charge of 2-
We didn't use all of them in the assessment but it will be good in the long run to know them. I feel pretty good about the assessment I think it went good except for a few here and there. I don't think I would have understood the concepts as well if she didn't do the worksheets, they really helped.
Alittle disappointed we didn't get to do a lab this week but I'm sure we will next week so its something to look forward to. All in all another great week in honors chemistry.

No comments:

Post a Comment