Sunday, September 30, 2012

Week Three

This week we compared the densities of different liquids. We started off by just finding the density of water. To do this we used a graduated cylinder to find five different volumes and then their masses. When trying to find the density of the water we realized that there were different ways to find it. One way was to use the mathematical formula which is density equals mass over volume and you can also find the density by graphing the mass and volume. After plotting all the points on the graph we used the line of best fit to calculate slope. After we found slope we realized that slope and density were the same thing, rise over run. After finding the density of water decided to find the density of other liquids and compare them. Every group took one of the liquids. My group chose apple juice. We then proceeded to pick five different volumes. After having some trouble pouring the apple juice out of the box and into the graduated cylinder. We then had our volumes and our masses and proceeded to find the density using the best fit line on our graph like we did for the density of water. That night our tweet 180 project was to list the densities of all the different liquids from lowest to highest. Which we got to see all the other groups data by posting all the data on to our lino board. My group decided that it was fruit punch, apple juice, oil, water, dr. pepper, coke and sprite. I wasn't in class on Thursday so I'm not sure if that was the right answer or not.

Friday was test day. I was nervous for my first test in honors chemistry, I didn't really know what to expect. I didn't find it that easy and I think that was because I may have under prepared. Also I didn't dress for success so that may have been a factor also. Now that i took my first one I think I'll know more of what to expect regarding the format and everything for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment