Sunday, October 7, 2012

Week Four

This week we got our first assessments back. I didn't end up doing as bad as I thought i was going to. The assessment only has eight standards on it and five of those standards I got a four on. The other standards I got a three, a two, and a one on. After I realized what I did wrong and needed to do to get a four, I applied for reassessment. Being able to apply to reassess to great because I can show that even though I didn't know that right answer at the time of the assessment I can show that I know what it is now.
The experiment that we started the week off with was playing with candy. We found the denisties of different kinds of candy; my group had starbursts. We took five starbursts and found the mass and volume of each. Then to find the density of each we did mass over volume. For each starburst the results were close in all three measurements. The next experiment we did was finding the height of aluminum foil. To do this our group first found the mass and we were already given the density. With this information we foun the volume by doing mass over density. Since volume equals length times width times height, we found the length and width of the aluminum foil. We then plugged everything back into the volume formula putting height as the variable. After solving that equation we found the height to be .0014cm. The class average ended up being .0014 as well. The last experiment we did for the week was finding the density of a gas. I had to leave early from class that day so I didn't get to actually participate in the experiment which I was kind of bummed about because the set up looked really interesting. When I came back we figured out that the average density of gas for the class was .003g/1mL. We then knew the density of a solid, 4.2g/mL, a liquid, 1.0 g/mL, and a gas, .003 g/mL.

No comments:

Post a Comment