Monday, October 29, 2012

Week Seven

This week we learned about how temperature can affect matter. We made a thermometer with ethanol and we also just put water in one vial as well and put them both in water on a heating pad. Then we turned the stove on and watched what happened to the ethanol and water as it got hotter. We observed that the ethanol expanded faster than the water. We learned that ethanol had more volume and is less dense than water. From that we learned that the more volume there is the less density it will have. Energy was also a big part of this week. The more the particles are spread out to start the less energy it will take to spread them out more. We discovered that temperature is the mesure of the energy in particles. Temperature is the average speed or energy of all the particles. In this experiment, the molecules in ethanol are moving faster than the molecules are in the water. I hadn't had much experience with Celsius and I felt like I didn't know a lot about it but we learned that the person who invented Celsius was named Anders Celsius. He said that zero degrees was freezing and that one hundred degrees is boiling. His system was based off of water. This week I felt like we started to hear about more complex things. One day we did alittle demonstration about pressure that I helped out with. First I put my hand on a bed of nails then I kept my hand on the same bed of nails but we then put some weight on top of my had which caused more pressure on the palm of my hand. Then for the last example I had to put my palm on just one nail. We thankfully did not put the weight on because I imagine that would have hurt. With this experiment we figured out that there is a relationship between pressure and area. The smaller the area, the more pressure. One day we got to drink juice boxes. We were trying to figure out how the juice came through the straw and how pressure was involved. Mr. Abud learned how to make a juice box into a cell phone which we all seemed very interested in doing as well
2012-10-23_15-00-15_16.jpg.

No comments:

Post a Comment