Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Week Fifteen

This week we made soap! My partner for this project was Richard. To get the supplies we went to Michaels and got soap base. There were different kinds but we went with goats milk because we thought that it would make softer soap. I was in charge of picking out the scent of our soap and I was pretty proud of my decision. It was called tropical temptations and smelled awesome. Making soap was actually easier than I thought it would be. All we had to do is melt the goats milk soap base, which I was paranoid that it would burn so I made sure that we kept stirring it. After all the cubes  melted which took a while because we had two bars of soap melting at once, we added the extras. We first added the coloring, we decided we wanted it light blue. We carefully put in one drop at a time making sure that we didn't put too much in and finally got the perfect color after about 10 drops. Then added the scent to make is smell good and just like with the coloring, carefully put in one drop at a time so we wouldn't over do it. We stopped after a few drops just to double check that it wasn't too much because we knew that we would always add more but we couldn't take it out. Instead of getting a special mold we just brought in plastic containers and used them as our molds and it worked out well. We poured the melted soap evenly in the containers and then decided that we wanted to make them alittle more fun. We ended up getting another color and swirled it in the blue with a Q-tip and let them sit. We realized shortly after that our soaps started to freeze. When I left the room that day I smelt like a bunch of different scents from looking and smelling other classmates creations. The next day after they were hard we wrapped them. I didn't put mine in a bag; we just tied bows around it and it was ready to be given as a present. My soap is now next to my sink in my kitchen waiting to be used.

    2012-12-19_14-23-26_640.jpg2012-12-18_14-28-38_384.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment