Sunday, November 18, 2012

Week Nine

The week number nine in chemistry was the week we turned in our first project. I did my project with James. We got together and looked up some designs to get some ideas and we found one that seemed like it would work. First, we took a plastic cup and covered it with saran wrap. Then we put a rubber band about the cup to secure the saran wrap around the cup. Lastly, we taped a straw on the top to measure the air pressure. We put a piece of paper with the starting measurement behind it so it would be easier to tell how much the air pressure increased or decreased. When we got to class and tested it out it didn't work as well as it could have. I don't think the saran wrap had enough flex in it. I wanted to improve it so I decided to start over. This time we decided to use a glass jar for more stability and we used a surgical glove instead of saran wrap so it would bend better. We then taped the straw on top like before. This time I wanted to go above and beyond. I decorated cardboard to tape up behind the jar that had measurements on the side and made the sign colorful. We also decorated the jar to make it more catching to the eye. 
This week we learned these problems using pressure, volume, temperature, and number of particle charts that showed the initial and final measurements and the effect they had. When we first started to learn these as a class I wasn't really sure that understood them completely. The morning before we had our test I went in early to get help. After Mr. Abud explained to me how to do it more in detail I started to understand the concept. Now that I fully understand how to do those problems I actually like doing them. Since I'm a math person I love when i can combine math and science.

No comments:

Post a Comment